Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Hey Y'all!
It is soooo beautiful outside!  I can't believe it's January and I'm tempted to throw the windows open and let The Doublewide air out today!  Think I will!
Anyway...
I've been seeing homemade laundry detergent on several blogs lately and finally decided to make some of my own.
It was so simple!
All you need is:
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing Soda
(This is NOT baking soda--just so you know.)
1/3 of a  bar of ZOTE soap or Fels-Naptha soap.  Any laundry bar soap will do.
All three products were purchased at Wal-Mart on the laundry aisle.

I turned on my food processor and grated the soap after I added the two powders.  Who wants to do that by hand?
After letting the ingredients process awhile, it was ready.  I made three batches so that I could just use the entire bar of soap.
This is what it looks like when all done:
I put it into a large Rubbermaid cereal container that seals to keep the moisture out of it.
Use 1 tablespoon per load!
It sure smells great and I KNOW it is MUCH cheaper than store bought detergent.
YAY for saving the moo-lah whenever you can!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I make my own Laundry Soap too! I also use my food processor to make it. Don't you LOVE it! Thanks for stoppin' by my place today. We double wide sister gotta stay together! Hope your day is great!