Tuesday, December 15, 2009

In This Picture....

In this one picture, I see:
1. A homemade angel I made with my students about 10 years ago using little wooden hearts, mini wooden flowerpots, glittery pipe cleaners, a mini Sharpie, buttons, spanish moss for hair and a hot glue gun. I remember the hot glue burns on my fingers that blistered almost! Every year as I put these different angels on my tree, I say a prayer for all of my former students--wherever they are or whatever path their lives have taken. I pray for their success, their happiness, and their futures. I'm glad God picked them to be MY students for the small amount of time I've had them.
2. I see an ornament that a former principal of mine gave me. Way back then we used to have "Secret Santas" the week before we got out for Christmas Break. He had drawn my name and his wife was a wonderful shopper! I got a whole set of these funky oblong ornaments and they were hand painted. This principal was also a preacher. Everytime we ate he always made sure we had a prayer to bless our meal; every single morning during the school year, our students observed a moment of silence. I miss those days and I miss having a principal who isn't ashamed or afraid to pray. I remember Mr. Charles Ashley every year as I hang these ornaments up. I pray for him and his family and for God to richly bless him and his church family as he still ministers nearby. I thank God for allowing me to work for such a great man!

3. I see a red-white-and-green little crocheted round ornament. It may not look like a whole lot, but it is very special to me. About 13 years ago, I took my fourth graders to sing Christmas carols at our local nursing home. While there I ran into Miss Annie Thompson. She was the first female mail-lady in my hometown. I spent many Saturdays in her room, learning to crochet. She was so tickled to be teaching a teacher! I learned more than just how to crochet, I learned a lot about her too! She went BACK to high school at age 27 and graduated. She had one son and he visited every Saturday after I left. She lost a set of twins due to a tubal pregnancy that nearly took her life. Everyday her husband, who worked for the Sherriff's Dept. would come home for lunch. One particular day, he kissed her goodbye as he headed out the door. On the way down the front porch steps, he dropped dead of a heart-attack. She lived to be 95 years old and her mind was as sharp as a tack and I remember Miss Annie every year as I hang up this ornament and I thank God that He made her a part of my life!

4. On that tree I see a brass piano ornament that an old friend, Andrea Deaton, gave me for Christmas while we were are Mars Hill College. It had my name engraved on it and I LOVED getting this as a gift! Every year when I hang this ornament, I thank God for sending me to Mars Hill and for allowing me to make it through there. I thank Him for all of the experiences I shared with friends there, for new friendships made that still are precious, and for all of the "Life Lessons" I learned during those four years. I wouldn't go back and do it all over again, but I'm thankful for that experience.

5. I see a candle ornament from my "Unit Leader", Paula. This was given to me in 2000. We sold PartyLite together for about 4 years. I think a LOT of this girl and admire her hard work. She is very involved in doing missions trips with her church as she's a nurse and volunteers her expertise! She has one of the biggest hearts and would do anything for you! Every year, when I hang up this ornament, I pray for Paula and her husband Mike and their daughter, Gracie. I thank God that He put them in my life and for what they mean to me and to others.

6. I see an ivory long glass ornament with silver glittery glass beads glued on it. This was my ornament that I won last year at our school's Christmas party. I loved it and even though all of my ornaments are kindof hodge-podge, I thought it would give a little "class" to my tree. Every year when I hang this ornament, I thank God for letting me work with a group of wonderful people. The staff at my school is the backbone of this building. We're tight but flexible and I thank God for each of them.

Seriously--this was just one shot that I took at random that inspired this post. I hope you have a wonderful day today!
Find something to thank God for because He sent us HIS BEST!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I to love ornaments that have meaning. Since being married for 34years I have plenty of them. I had thought about doing just balls, but can't bring myself to leaving these little guys boxed up. Mom says when you look at my tree it's interesting, she always looks for 2 that match, but it's hard.

Happy Ornament Day...hehehe