Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Anticipation....

First of all, let me begin by saying that out of 16 or so items that I listed on Ebay last week, only ONE sold--and it went for a whopping $2.99 and I'm STILL waiting on my dern money from the winner....hahahah....ain't that the way it goes...

Speaking of how things go....

Our air conditioner decided to lay down and die here at the doublewide last week. It took us until today to get it replaced.
You ready? Got a good cup of coffee or something? Sitting down? Comfy? Here goes....


Friday night...
Man #1 comes over: Charges us $89.95 to tell us that the "accumulator" was bad and he's gonna call us back on Monday with the price to replace it.

(I fuss at Big R for randomly picking someone out of the yellow pages to call. Being as how this company was like 3 counties southeast of us, we paid a LOT of money for him to tell us something.

Saturday late afternoon
Man #2 comes over. He was supposed to have been at the house around 1:30 but there was a motorcycle wreck in his front yard (for real) and it delayed him a few hours.

I've known this man pretty much all of my life. He takes a few looks at it and tells us the whole unit is kaput. Says he'll call Monday with a price.
Sunday--it's just hot in the doublewide today---relying on God's mercy/grace/pity/sense of humor to get us through to sundown. Temperature reached eighty one degrees inside! WHEW! As Big R says, "That's hard on a fat man!" Anyway...back to the story..


Monday during school....
Cell phone rings; Big R says Man #2 quoted $4500.00 for a 3.5 ton unit.
After fainting, I told Big R we'd talk about it when I got home and not to "order" anything.
Took 46 Tums/Rolaids/Tbsp. of Pepto Bismol.


Monday after school, during tutoring....

I talked to another heating and air man (Man #3). Seems he can get a 4 ton unit for $2490.00 (Labor/Taxes included).
I immediately asked Man #3 when he could make it to my doublewide....

Tuesday
9:00 AM
Big R called my cell phone to report that Man #3 and a helper are diligently working to install new unit.
12:00 PM
Snuck away from job to bring Man #3 a check.

Tuesday afternoon....

Came home to a house that was 72 degrees.

Oh THANK GOD!

Have you any idea how thankful I am for air conditioning? Even though I joke about being an "old soul" and how I could have made it during the pioneer days, I have been harshly smacked with the reality of, "Girl....ain't no way Big Mama's doing without her air"

Enjoy today--no matter what the temperature is!


PS...We're going to The Pumpkin Patch tomorrow

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Girl! Keep the name of the people who put in your new AC unit! I have a feeling we are going to need one next year! I'm glad it was fixed...I HATE being hot.