Sunday, January 24, 2016

Snow and Ice Makes Me Hungry...


Surely I'm not the only one right?  Every. Single. Time. it snows or ices around here, I'm constantly hungry.  I will blow more money than necessary at the grocery store in preparation.  Toilet paper, candles, batteries, flashlights, water?  Ppsshh...I'm more like, "Doritos, eggs, potatoes, cheese, coffee, snacks, etc.  HAHA!!!!
Tonight was no different.
My daddy had two strokes on July 29th---the same exact day I had sepsis after diverticulitis surgery. He's still unable to walk, but can maneuver around his home and still have his independence.
Today was Day #3 of the Snow/Ice and I couldn't bear to think of staying inside The Doublewide anymore!
I showered, got everything together, Robbie showered, and off we went.  First I took Robbie to eat lunch at our favorite "Sit Down and Let 'Em Cook for You Japanese Restaurant" called Shogun.  It's delicious!!!
Our lunch for the two of us, was $32 with an $8 tip.
Here's what I got at one of my favorite thrift shops:


A Double Flat Vintage Sheet to sell on Ebay
My Cost:  $1.50



Another Double Flat Vintage Sheet to sell on Ebay
My Cost:  $1.50
 I actually found these shoes in the aisle with old school supplies and games.  I couldn't find a size on them but as soon as I picked them up, I noticed how light weight they were.  Lo and Behold they're CROCS and they fit!  The fact that I got them for $3.50 was a BONUS!!!

 After a trip to Wal-Mart, we headed home.  I stopped by to check in on my daddy since he lives across the street from us.  I thought I'd offer to "get him out of the house" for a bit if he was up to it!  He was happy to ride to town so we made his grocery list and headed to Food Lion.  While there, I picked up a few things and knew what would be for supper!  My sister and I take turns making sure daddy has a hot supper.  Since we both work full time, during the day, he can take care of his own breakfast and lunch.  Tonight I made my sister's famous Kielbasa and Taters casserole.   Here's a photo recipe:
Peel, cube and stew some taters:
 Brown 2 pkgs of Polish Kielbasa and 1/2 of a large sweet onion in a little bit of oil
 Sprinkle some Soul Food Seasoning on the Kielbasa and Onion while they cook!
This can be purchased at Dollar General for around $1.  BEST STUFF EVER!!!

When your taters are done, drain them and layer them in the bottom of a large pan.  I use the Deep Dish Baker from Pampered Chef.

 Add One 8 Oz. pkg of shredded cheese of your choice: 
 Cover with Kielbasa and Onion.
Next Layer use the other bag of cheese.
Bake, uncovered at 450 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or long enough to let the cheese melt.  All of your ingredients are cooked, so you just need to melt the cheese:


Serve with a giant hoe-cake:


Be sure to take your daddy a huge plate, making sure to throw in some good field peas and enjoy!!!


Since I can't have popcorn anymore, I decided on another use for my favorite popcorn bowl:
It can hold my candle and pip berries!

 Can't wait to start this soon!!!  I love her books!
 Robbie and I will be using these for an upcoming blog post for Valentine's Day!  Come back soon!!!

I hope you all have enjoyed our little chit-chat!
I'm working on uploading my cooking video to YouTube, but it's taking forever!

Have a great night, or day or morning!!!
See you soon!!!
{Please leave me a comment and let me know you were here!!}  {Thanks!!!}






1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I don't know what it is about snow and ice that makes people run to the store for milk and bread! My husband went and came back with lots of snacks too! Glad you are feeling better. Great finds at the thrift store. Hope your dad is doing better. That meal looks yummy!